Each semester, our studio completes a final project. Intended as a semester-long endeavor, the final project varies each semester, but is intended to help you learn beyond applied lessons and ensemble experience. This semester, I have chosen to focus on literature on music and the brain. I have selected a number of highly recommended books on the subject and compiled an Amazon wish list here.
I got the idea while shopping at the Boston University bookstore this summer, when I purchased The Mastery of Music: Ten Pathways to True Artistry by Barry Green. Kind of like a book club, I wanted the studio to spend a semester reading, discussing, and applying the concepts within the best literature regarding the relationship between intellect and musicianship.
Here are the complete details of the assignment:
University of Iowa Tuba-Euphonium Studio
Final Project – Fall 2009
- Read book at your own pace, but complete it by October 29th.
- Write down useful quotations and concepts
- Use quotations and concepts in Seminar class
- Apply concepts in your own practice, performing, lessons
- Prepare a five-minute oral book report to present at the final Seminar meeting; which should include a summary, observations and review.
Peruse all of the texts and by next week, be ready to express your choices in order of preference. The order of the random drawn lots was:
- Ben A.
- Ben R.
• At the beginning of Seminar next week (Thursday, September 3rd), book selections will be made in the order above. I would suggest ranking your books, and rank as many as your lot number. [If you drew number 12, be sure to rank your top 12 books since you will choose last)
• Everyone must acquire (purchase, borrow, or sign out) their books by the next by September 10th.• Blaine and I will inform you of which books are available through the University of Iowa Library, the Iowa City Public Library, or the Coralville Public Library.• You must complete the book by October 29th (7 weeks), and make weekly notes and quotations to use when making your comments in seminar.
• The complete list of books maybe be found at the following link: http://amzn.com/w/Y1ES1P62F0DH