Congratulations to Josh Calkin, recipient of the Sandra Barkan Mentor Award! Originally called the Graduate Student as Mentor Award, the Graduate Student Senate renamed the award to honor Dean Sandra Barkan of the Graduate College. We all know how much Josh has done for the studio and the department, and it is great to see him recognized for his contribution.
Congratulations are also in order to Karl Zelle for making it to the semi-final round of the Iowa Center for the Arts Scholarship.
The Old Capitol Brass Quintet put on a great concert on Sunday. Despite a very challenging program, during one of the busiest weekend of the year, they sounded better than ever – bravo.
We survived HRTEC! Thank you to each of you that volunteered and/or performed during the Hawkeye Regional Tuba Euphonium Conference. I think we all had a good time and learned a lot, and I hope that we can go to ITEC in 2008.
There are a lot of concerts and other events taking place in these remaining weeks of the semester. Here are the highlights:
- Friday, April 13th at 6pm – Josh Calkin DMA Recital
- Saturday, April 14 – Sunday April 15 – The Collage Concerts (everyone is involved!)
- Thursday, April 26 – Jeremy Crawford Junior Recital
- Monday, April 30 – Professor Manning Recital with Professor Huckleberrry and guests
- Wednesday, May 2 – Professor Manning solo with the UI Symphony Orchestra, Vaughan Williams Tuba Concerto
- Friday, May 4 – Studio Recital 7pm in Harper (International Tuba Day)
- Sunday, May 6 – Claire Sievers Master Recital